Landlord FAQ

What is an EPC?

An EPC is an Energy Performance Certificate, issued by a qualified Domestic Energy Assessor after surveying the energy efficiency of your property. The certificate itself outlines 

  • Energy stored and lost by the property 
  • The properties carbon emissions and the buildings environmental impact 
  • Suggestions on how you could improve the efficiency of the property 
  • The approximate running costs of the building. 

The certificate bands your property between A to G, is also valid for 10 years from the date of issue and can be used for the rental or eventual sale of your property. 

Landlords Gas Safety Certificates 

It is a legal requirement for landlords to have a gas safety certificate in place for your boiler system and boiler flue as well as any appliances that use gas, whether they are portable or permanent. An engineer will attend your property and run a series of standard tests across your gas systems to ensure that they are safe to use and once they have been deemed satisfactory, will issue a gas safety certificate which is valid for 1 full year from the date of issue. 

PIR’s & EIC’s 

(Periodic Inspection Reports and Electrical Installation Certificates) 

As a landlord you are responsible for ensuring the electrics within your property are safe to use. Periodic Inspection Reports are an important part of preparing for a tenancy because they highlight risks that if left, could cause short circuiting, electrical faults and in some extreme cases fatal accidents. 

A periodic inspection report of your property, once complete without complication, will provide you with a NICEIC Electrical Installation Certificate showing that for a period of 1 year from the date of issue, the electrical systems have been safety certified by a qualified electrician for use. 

Smoke Alarms 

Every property being let must have a working smoke alarm system in place for the safety of its inhabitants. Depending on the size of your property dictates how many smoke alarms should be fitted in the property, but a minimum of two should always be in place. There are two types of smoke alarm system you can install, being battery powered or hardwired. The Hardwired option wherever possible is the safest option and can be fitted by a qualified NICEIC accredited electrician. 

Carbon Monoxide Alarm 

Although it is yet to be made a mandatory obligation for landlords, having a Carbon Monoxide Detector in the property is an important investment that we as a company recommend. Most realise that Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer as you cannot smell it or see it. If a carbon monoxide leak was to occur it would stem from the boiler itself, so by investing in a trustworthy Carbon Monoxide Detector and placing it either on top or underneath the boiler, or in the boiler cupboard with the boiler, it will keep your tenants safe from harm. A good Carbon Monoxide Detector should cost between £25.00 and £35.00 and should come with long life batteries. 

Landlords Insurance 

As a landlord, it is your responsibility to ensure the safety and well being of anyone living in, or visiting your rental property. Accidents have happened, can happen and will happen again, which is why we strongly recommend that you protect yourself with appropriate landlords insurance cover.